PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will increase its fuel surcharge for most of its international routes by between US$2 and US$20 effective tomorrow.
However, surcharge for the route between Penang and Medan has been reduced by US$3.
The airline in a statement late last evening said fuel cost continued to remain the single largest expense item for all carriers.
“Malaysia Airlines will continue to monitor and take measures to mitigate the cost increase by streamlining and matching fuel surcharges with other airlines.”
The airline also said the new surcharge applied to flights it operated on a coach-sharing basis with other airlines.
The highest increase of US$20 is for the routes between Malaysia and the Americas.
MAS flies to New York and Los Angeles in the United States as well as Buenos Aires in Argentina.
The new one-way surcharge for these routes is US$87.
The other new surcharges are:
· Malaysia-Singapore: US$20 (increase of US$2);
· Malaysia-Brunei / Cambodia / Myanmar / Philippines / Thailand / Vietnam and Indonesia (except Penang-Medan): US$23.70 (US$2);
· Siem Reap-Phnom Penh: US$23.70 (US$2);
· Malaysia-India / Bangladesh: US$37 (US$5);
· Malaysia-Netherlands / Britain / France / Germany / Italy / Sweden / Switzerland / Austria: US$72 (US$5); and
· Malaysia-Turkey / Lebanon / Egypt / Qatar / United Arab Emirates / Saudi Arabia / South Africa / Mauritius: US$67 (US$10).
This is the fourth time this year the national carrier has increased its fuel surcharge.
From Aug 1, MAS had increased the fuel surcharge for domestic flights by RM5 for flights within the peninsula as well as Sabah and Sarawak.
Source: The Star...MAS increases fuel surchage
BY WONG SAI WAN
Gibson Hummingbird Pro Acoustic Electric Guitar - If you are in the market for a guitar, an acoustic-electric guitar I mean, here's one to check out, gibson hummingbird pro at guitarcenter.com. First intro...
1 week ago