Thursday, November 17, 2011

Lost IDs? No need to tell cops now

Good news for the people that Government departments no longer need a police report for lost or stolen documents such as MyKad (Identity Card or IC) and passport when applying for a replacement.

According to Immigration director-general, Datuk Alias Ahmad, those who lose their passport need only to lodge a report with the Immigration department. The lost passport will then be blacklisted.

In addition to passports and MyKad, it was also reported that the public no longer need to lodge a police report for lost or damaged birth, marriage, academic and vehicle registration certificates, driving licences and land grant.

The fee to replace a first-time lost/stolen MyKad is RM110; RM210 for the second time. However, the fee to replace a damaged MyKad is RM10. The spoilt card will need to be presented upon application. The old card will be considered void and will not be able to be used in transactions.

Under the National Registration Act, those found with more than one MyKad could be sentenced to three years in jail or fined RM20,000 or both.

For application to replace a driver's license, applicant just need to present his Mykad, a photograph and a fee of RM5. The abolishment of the need for a police report has been implemented since 2005.

Lost IDs? No need to tell cops. The Star

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...