Penang has been voted No. 1 among 10 of "Asia's 10 greatest street food cities". Hooray!!
CNNGo put together a collection of the best examples of street food from 10 of the greatest food cities in Asia, and also made some handy maps to show exactly where to get them.
Running down the list of Asia's 10 greatest street food cities are Penang, Taipei, Bangkok, Fukuoka, Hanoi, Singapore, Seoul, Xi'an, Manila and Phnom Penh.
1. Penang assam laksa (pictured), followed by
2. Hokkien mee*
3. Wonton mee*
4. Nasi kandar (rice with side dishes)
5. Rojak (a fruit salad with shrimp paste)
6. Lor Bak (stewed pork)
7. Curry mee*
8. Char kway teow (stir-fried flat rice noodles which Penang is famous for)
9. Koay chiap (another stewed port dish) and
10.Ice kacang (a desert of beans, nuts and fruits with ice shavings and syrup and cream).
* Mee is noodle in the Chinese and local Malay language
There you have it. Bring this list along when you visit Penang and try them all. You will be amazed and delighted at how good they all taste and how cheap they are too. Street food is great on the tastebuds and light on the pocket! Welcome to Penang!